In 1837, a young blacksmith named John Deere revolutionized the agricultural world with his steel plow. He replaced the familiar cast iron with steel, noting that the rich soils of the Midwest didn’t stick to it. Plowing became faster and more manageable.
Steel continues to be the best metal for farm implements today, though its usage differs based on the application.
The Best Metal for Agriculture Equipment
Most heavy equipment manufacturers still rely on steel for the primary construction of their machinery. Structural steel shells meet with solid steel frames on tractors, combines, tillers and many other attachments.
Among the many advantages of structural steel, this material is:
- Durable: Steel is long-lasting and maintains its strength over time.
- Resilient: Structural steel resists corrosion amid harsh conditions found in agricultural environments.
- Resistant: Many of the chemical pesticides and herbicides used in farming don’t affect steel.
- Malleable: Structural steel can be molded and formed into various shapes, so it offers flexible design options.
The Best Metal for Agricultural Parts and Hand Tools
Steel remains the leading metal for agricultural parts and hand tools like rakes, shovels and hoes. In addition to the benefits above, using steel prevents soil from sticking and makes cleanup faster.
Many smaller components of large machinery use stainless steel, a version of the alloy that’s combined with chromium to achieve a familiar sheen and smooth texture. Advantages of stainless steel include:
- Strength: Stainless steel maintains its integrity and structure across a range of outdoor temperatures.
- Environmental friendliness: Fabrication of stainless steel produces no hazardous waste, and the material is 100% recyclable.
- Safety: Stainless steel may hold antimicrobial properties — particularly if enhanced with molybdenum — that help keep food and milk safe from contamination.
- Simple fabrication: Production of stainless steel components is quick and easy due to advances in manufacturing techniques.
Fairlawn Tool Is a Leader in Metal Fabrication for the Agricultural Industry
Fairlawn Tool is your one-stop solution for your agricultural metal manufacturing needs. We’ve been helping customers on the East Coast and beyond stand out from the competition in the cost-conscious world of agriculture for more than 65 years.
We maintain an ISO 9001-certified facility, manufacturing farm equipment from tractors to combine harvesters and every nut and bolt in the middle. Our specialties include turret punching, sheet metal fabrication and metal bending and forming to your specifications. Contact our expert team to learn how partnering with us can save you time and money.
The post What Metal Is Best for Agricultural Implements? appeared first on Fairlawn Tool, Inc..